Networks, Routers and Transputers:
Function, Performance and Applications
Edited by M.D. May, P.W. Thompson and P.H. Welch. February 1993
© INMOS Limited 1993.
The introduction of high-speed serial communication links and general purpose VLSI routers offers new opportunites in system design. C104 routers can be used to construct high throughput low latency interconnection networks for use in telecommunications, parallel computers and electronic systems in general. The T9000 transputer with its integrated communications links can be connected directly to these networks, providing high performance data-handling, protocol conversion and network control.
The first chapters cover the rationale behind the design of the new links, the C104 universal packet router and the T9000 'virtual channel' processor. Other chapters deal with interconnection networks for parallel computers and specific topics relevant to building powerful systems from C104 routers and T9000 transputers. The book ends with detailed application case-studies: very large (parallel) database machines, high-performance switches for the CCITT Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) broadband networks (both 'public' and 'on-your-desk') and distributed scalable multimedia systems (built on ATM).
- Chapter 1: Transputers and Routers: Components for Concurrent Machines
- Chapter 2: The T9000 Communications Architecture
- Chapter 3: DS-Links and C104 Routers
- Chapter 4: Connecting DS-Links
- Chapter 5: Using Links for System Control
- Chapter 6: Models of DS-Link Performance
- Chapter 7: Performance of C104 Networks
- Chapter 8: General Purpose Parallel Computers
- Chapter 9: The Implementation of Large Parallel Database Machines on T9000 and C104 Networks
- Chapter 10: A Generic Architecture for ATM Systems
- Chapter 11: An Enabling Infrastructure for a Distributed Multimedia Industry
- Appendix A: New link cable connector
- Appendix B: Link waveforms
- Appendix C: DS-Link Electrical specification
- Appendix D: An Equivalent circuit for DS-Link Output Pads